Fox nuts, Hailing from India also known as Makhanas or lotus seeds are often used in quite a few Indian sweets and savouries like kheer, raita or makhana curry, and are also eaten as an evening tea-time snack. It is highly nutritious.
Also found in Korea, Japan and Russia and known as ‘Gorgon Nut’ there.
Here are some health benefits of Foxnuts
- Makhanas are gluten free, protein rich and high in carbohydrates
- Low in calories, making them an ideal snack for weight loss
- Low in cholesterol, fat and sodium. This makes them an ideal snack to satiate those in-between meal hunger pangs
- Beneficial to those suffering from high blood pressure, heart diseases and obesity due to their high magnesium and low sodium content
- Makhanas are recommended for diabetics too due to their low glycemic index
- An anti-ageing enzyme in these seeds is said to help repair damaged proteins
- The presence of a natural flavonoid called kaempferol (also present in coffee), helps prevent inflammation and ageing